Saint Lawrence’s Church in Skriaudžiai

The church was built in the thirties of the 19th century – when Historicism tendencies were prevailing. Later, in 1895-1896, it was re-built and expanded on the initiative of the priest Motiejus Juodišius. After reconstruction, intertwining features of Neo-Baroque and Neo-Renaissance started to dominate in the architecture of this structure. The middle part of the main facade was jutted out, thus forming a massive portal. Two pairs of pilasters hold here the entablature, which ends with a large cornice, running around the entire building. Between the entablature and a modest triangular pediment, a wall, as if extending the lower part, is integrated here, the height of which coincides with the middle tier of the towers. Three-tier towers end on the top with another profiled cornice, above which the helmets of broken forms rise. Both the niches of the towers and the windows of the side facades on the upper part are accentuated by the trimmings divided by vertical grooves and reiterating the rounded form of the niches. The transept of the temple is extremely protruded to the width, while the facades of it, like the rear one, end with elementary triangular pediments with semi-rounded windows. The single-nave space of the church ends with a flat wall, at the end of which a single-storeyed sacristy addition is built; the side chapels are separated from the nave by the rounded arches. The equipment of the church features Neo-Baroque forms: the altars of the church are particularly richly and expressively decorated.