The Church of the Holy Trinity of the Building Complex of Čekiškė Church of the Holy Trinity

A modest but expressive Church of the Holy Trinity stands in Čekiškė, the most remote town of Kaunas district. The first sanctum here was built in the early 17th century – when it burned down, the current building opened its doors in 1821. Though the architecture of the church is close to the principles of Classicism, it also has a clear neo-Baroque element – a wavy pediment of the front façade. An octagonal turret of two sections rises above it. The composition of the façades is modest – the lateral façades are formed by a rhythm of pilasters and large windows; a rounded apse, split by the same pilasters and a profiled cornice, completes the church from the rear. The rectangular church plan is disrupted by sacristies on both sides. An exceptional front façade is split in several sections by cornices, and the lateral corner pilasters “frame” it from the sides; the upper cornice is somewhat curved to the rounded niche in the second section. The pilasters repeat themselves on either side of the main entrance and extend across the entire height of the façade to almost the top of the pediment. The internal area is split by two rows of pillars of Doric order, supporting the barrel vault of the central nave. The decorative solution is complemented with a relief frieze with a floral motif and rows of rosettes, horizontally splitting the vaults and the flat ceiling of the lateral naves at the pillars. Arcades, with decorative architraves and the wide decorative pilasters located at the cross-sections, separate the church lobby and the choir balcony from the main area.